Become a Licensed Andover Educator
The mission of Andover Educators® is to put music training on a secure somatic foundation so that all musicians, amateur and professional alike, may play free of pain and injury and with increasing enjoyment and skill. You can become a part of the growing body of music teachers knowledgeable in both the physiological and neurophysiological basis of music training to effectively convey crucial information to students and colleagues. Experience has shown that the best teachers of this vital information are themselves musicians. Music teachers can find their lives enriched by being part of a solution to a significant problem in the musical community.
Musicians interested in training, first join Andover Educators as an Affiliate member to begin working with Licensed Instructors. The training process includes:
- Studying Body Mapping texts
- Learning the historical context for Andover Educators from both the Music Education and Somatic Education perspectives
- Studying anatomy
- Participating in courses taught by Licensed Teachers
- Private and group training sessions with Licensed Andover Educators
- Developing course materials
- Participating in group discussions on members’ list-serve
- Conference calls Licensed Teachers to mentor trainees through the training process
- Learning to integrate Body Mapping principles into playing
- Acquiring the observation skills which are necessary to teach Body Mapping
- Complete Training Guidelines can be found at www.andovereducators.wildapricot.org.
Course quality is maintained by careful initial selection of teachers, thorough training, continuing education, peer review, course evaluations, ongoing communication, and supervision.
Training is complete when a trainee has received a license to teach the course What Every Musician Needs to Know about the Body®. Trainees will be evaluated on the following items:
- Verbal skill in conveying course information
- Integrity and use of visual aids
- Ability to demonstrate what is being taught with their own instrument
- Ability to observe and coach course participants in awareness and refinement of their body maps
By the end of the training, our teachers have new tools for teaching their private students and for increasing their effectiveness as classroom teachers. Many are a valued resource to colleagues who consult Andover Educators about their injured or at-risk students. Many schools of music are finding that courses in injury prevention and efficient movement are a recruiting asset and offer important lifelong information for students.
For more information contact a Licensed Andover Educator near you. All Licensed teachers have a profile on bodymap org. Licensed Andover Educators can talk with you more about the Training Process.
Also About Us: The Course